1. In this procedure we place a latex band around the neck of the hemorrhoid or pile, The hemorrhoid falls off with the band in 7-10 days. You might notice a bit of bleeding around this time which is normal.
2. Since hemorrhoids originate inside the rectum where there are no pain nerves, you should feel no pain after the procedure.
3. When the hemorrhoid falls off in a few days, you may have some irritation or burning from the raw surface until it heals over. Please avoid excessive coffee, cola, alcohol, spices, heavy lifting and strenuous exercise, for a few days.
4. You will need three or four visits to complete the treatment — we usually treat one or two hemorrhoids at a time. We may do a routine sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy to make sure there is no other problem causing your symptoms.
1. Constipation and straining at stool must be avoided, this is extremely important. If you have this tendency add fibre and water to your diet.
2. Bleeding: spotting may occur when the hemorrhoid falls off (it may be the only indication that it has). Occasionally you may have a gush of blood in the toilet during a bowel movement. If you do, simply lie face down on the bed with your stomach over the edge and head on a pillow on the floor so that your bottom is as high as possible — for 15-20 minutes to allow the bleeding to stop by gravity. Then, lie face down on your bed with four pillows under your hips to keep your bottom elevated for an hour. If bleeding continues, you can call the clinic for more information. If it is after hours and you are experiencing significant bleeding, visit the emergency department.
3. Burning, raw, irritating sensation: stop all coffee, alcohol, spices (i.e. onions, pepper and garlic) and use Anurex (no prescription needed) twice a day for a few weeks.
4. Another hemorrhoid sometimes acts up after one hemorrhoid has been treated. Try to push any prolapsing hemorrhoids back in and use Anurex.
5. If external swelling occurs, use Epsom Salt sitz baths (10 minutes, 3 times daily), ice packs, and Anurex, stay off your feet and do not strain with bowel movements. It should improve within a few days. This is either a hematoma or edema (swelling). Another medication for painful, swollen hemorrhoids is Venixxa. Ask your doctor for a prescription.
6. If you experience any urinary retention (ie: unable to urinate) try voiding while in a warm bath. If it does not work, then visit the emergency department.